The 3 Ranking Factors for Local SEO
Google owns one of the best, if not the best, search engines in the world. It is pretty accurate and the results on the first two pages are most likely ones that will closely satisfy your intent for using the platform.
That being said, local businesses are actually being rewarded nowadays because people are using Google to search for such ventures to probably buy something or even acquire some services.
A small or medium business who has a local presence would need to be acquainted with the top three ranking factors to help their SEO. These ranking factors are Relevance, Distance, and Prominence. I will discuss each factor in this article, so be sure to read until the end to help you better understand them.
Before I start, I want to preface this by saying that you must create a “Google My Business (GMB)” account. This is crucial as it can help you rank higher when someone uses a local search to find your business. That being said, let’s get on with the three important ranking factors.
This factor is just how relevant you are in meeting the demands of the user’s search query. For instance, if they’re searching for “best Korean restaurants in Los Angeles”, for example, and your business happen to be one, then it would be deemed as “relevant” in the eyes of Google’s search engine platform.
So, how can you make this happen? Well, you have to make some necessary edits to your GMB profile such as:
- Pick the Most Accurate Category- In your profile, you will be asked to select the category that best fits your venture. If you own a restaurant, choose the category that best describes that (the more accurate it is, the better).
- Add Suitable Descriptions- For people to actually consider going to your establishment, you have to add a suitable description that will entice them to do so. Google gives you a maximum of 1000 words to describe your business, so use it wisely. Furthermore, it would be great if you can incorporate some of your keywords on the description as well.
- Complete and Accurate Information- I cannot stress this enough. A lot of businesses fail to provide the accurate and complete information that people would need to know about their venture. Giving your complete address, the complete name of your business, as well as your contact information are all a must.
This is another factor that will affect your local SEO. Improving your rankings using this is very easy and all you have to do is use keywords with a location in it. For instance, if one of your keywords is “Italian restaurant”, all you have to do is add a location to make it more relevant such as “Italian restaurant Los Angeles”.
This factor is basically how you market or promote your brand. To help increase your page rankings, you can do the following:
- Include as many images as you can. Highlight the different products or services that you’re selling.
- Customer testimonials and reviews can really help increase the trustworthiness of your establishment so always include them on your website.
- Build relationships with other similar ventures so that you will gain citations and backlinks. Doing so will help improve your brand visibility as well.
Local SEO is pretty important if you have a local business. Remember that it has three main factors that govern your success in the local industry. Fortunately, I’ve provided some tips for you to follow so that you can get an advantage over your competition. If you find that you are still confused after reading this article fret not, there are many SEO services out there that can help you.